There is nothing better than sitting with a refreshing drink while the sun is shining and hearing ocean waves. For the past few years, I have had the luxury of living in the beautiful Manhattan Beach. When moving to LA, we chose this neighborhood to […]
Month: April 2020
Happy Easter and new beginnings to you all. We hope everyone is staying positive and well during these times. As you may be able to tell, some of us at Three Teas Kitchen have been spending our time at home cooking away. We hope you’ve had some time to explore our posts and indulge, too! I, for one, am finding it difficult to have time for cooking while my husband and I try to work and care for all three of my kids at home. But I’m so glad that the weather is getting nicer now so we can start grilling out while the kids are playing in the yard – killing many birds with one stone. Vegetarian Makloobi is one of my absolute favorites and one of the first dishes I think of when the grill comes out. Red rice on its own is so delicious, but layer in some seasoned grilled veggies and you’ve got yourself a fantastic, tasty and comforting dish. It’s perfect for a BBQ either as a main dish for your vegetarian guests or a side dish. Either way, it is sure to be a showstopper. (and yes, I’m hopeful that there are many BBQs with friends and family this summer). Be well everyone and enjoy!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp bahar (all spice)
- Make Iraqi Red Rice according to recipe, except:1) use 1 cup of water (instead of 1¾ cup)2) use 1 tbsp of salt (instead of 1½ tbsp)
Cut and Grill Vegetables
- Peel 1 large eggplant and slice horizontally into 1/2" thick slices. (slices should be circular)
- Cut 1 large green bell pepper, 1 large red bell pepper first into 1" wide strips then cut each strip in half.
- Peel and cut 1 large yellow onion into quarters. Pull apart the layers.
- Toss all cut vegetables in 1.5 tbsp of EVOO and 1/2 tbsp of salt
- Grill or bake vegetables (around 400°F) for 8-10 minutes or until soft
Assemble and cook
- Use remaining 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to coat bottom of 3.5 quart saucepan/pot/dutch oven
- Take about 1/2 of the grilled vegetables and layer them to line the bottom of pot
- Then take 1/2 of your red rice and it to the pot on top of the grilled vegetable layer. Sprinkle 1 tsp of bahar over the rice layer.
- Layer on remaining half grilled vegetables
- Layer on remaining half of red rice
- pour 3/4 cup of water onto the top of last rice layer and cover pot
- cook on low heat for 30 minutes