Friends – Pumpkin Spice Latte’s may be back, but it is still HOTT out there! Soak up these last days of summer with a nice picnic, and add some of our healthy chicken salad to your basket while you’re at it. Now, I’ll admit, I’m […]
Month: August 2020
Sour cherry soup is a Hungarian summer time favorite. Over the years, I have heard about this famous soup from my boyfriend and his family. They recount summers spent around Lake Balaton and the surplus of sour cherries in the area. Sour cherries can be […]
Hello! It’s been a sec here at Three Teas Kitchen since we have last posted – but that does not mean we haven’t been eating well, this Moroccan Roasted Vegetable Salad included!
This salad is a lovely medley of fresh summer produce and warm Moroccan spices. Bulgur and slivered almonds round it out, making it a great entree or side dish. And best thing is that it travels and stores well, aka barbecue and picnic perfect. Maybe enjoy alongside some kabob or even top with some eggs for brunch, as my mom did with leftovers!
So you may have been wondering where we’ve been? I know, I know, the paparazzi didn’t even find us, go figure! Well, we (Tamara, Tina and Tara) have all been living in separate states for the past year, and over the past few weeks we finally reunited. There is nothing like time spent together in person, laughing and giving those brutally honest sister comments. All I got to say is THREE TEAS KITCHEN is back, and BACKSTREET IS BACK ALLLRIGHT!
I’m excited. Enjoy this salad.
Moroccan Roasted Vegetable Salad
Moroccan Roasted Vegetable Salad
- 3 cups spinach
- ¾ cup bulgur
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1½ cups water
- 3 multicolored peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 eggplant, partially peeled in a stripped fashion, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ large red onion, or 1 small red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup almond slivers
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling on vegetables
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp coriander
- pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste or optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with foil. Scatter chopped cauliflower on one sheet and chopped onions and peppers on another. Lightly drizzle olive oil and salt on both sheets and toss with your hands. Roast vegetables for about 25-30 minutes, mixing half way, until cauliflower is slightly charred on all sides and peppers and onion have wilted down.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is fully heated, add eggplant to pan and continue to cook on high until lightly browned on all sides, about 3-5 minutes. Once browned add a generous pinch of salt and ¼ cup olive oil. Reduced heat to medium-low and cook for 7-10 min, until tender.
- For bulgur: In a small saucepan boil water with ¼ tsp salt. Once boiling, add bulgur and butter. Allow to cook for 5 min uncovered. Turn off heat, cover saucepan with lid and allow to steam for 10-15 minutes. Once done, remove lid and fluff with a fork.
- Add all the ingredients for the dressing together and whisk.
- Place spinach in a bowl. Once vegetables have completed cooking, remove from oven and mix with spinach to allow the spinach to wilt a bit.
- Mix in bulgur, dressing and almonds. Garnish with fresh mint.
- Allow to salad to sit in fridge for about an hour or more prior to serving. Serve cold or at room temperature. Stores well in fridge for up to 3 days.