The simple mixture of curry powder and bahar gives this dish wonderful flavor and a spicy aroma. Making this dish always takes me back to hallway of my Tata’s condo. Once the elevator doors opened to her floor, I knew she would always be cooking something amazing in her kitchen. This lovely smell would lead up right to her door, and an inviting dish of curry, rice, and her special salad would always be waiting to greet us.
- 1.75 lbs sirloin roast
- 4 cups 1 inch cubed russet potatoes
- 1 large yellow onion
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1.5 tbsp bahar ( or allspice)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- Cut the sirloin into 1.5 inch square cubes
- Cook sirloin in pot until cooked on all sides of the meat. I like my meat cooked to medium
- Take cooked sirloin off stove and set aside
- Finely chop onions. In your pot you will use to make the curry, saute the onions over medium heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil. I like to use a dutch oven for the curry, but any large pot works well.
- Once onions have turned clearer in color and softened (even slightly browned), add the can of tomato paste, curry, and bahar (or allspice if you do not have the bahar spice mix available) to the onions. Cook the mixture over medium/high heat for a few minutes allowing the tomato paste to become darker in color. This slightly burns the tomato paste, but this gives the curry a nice flavor!
- Add a tbsp of white vinegar to the curry and stir. Add the can of tomato sauce to the mixture. Add each cup of water one at a time, stirring the mixture after each cup is added
- Add the cooked meat to the curry and add the second tbsp of white vinegar to the mixture. Cover, set heat to low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes
- Peel and cut the potatoes. In a pan over medium heat, cook the potatoes with 3 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat until the potatoes soften
- Add potatoes to the curry mixture. Once added, bring the curry to a boil. Just after boiling, reduce heat to simmer until ready to serve. Add salt and pepper to taste