This Asparagus Fattoush is proof that you can use whatever is in season or what you have on hand to make this beloved middle eastern salad. It is so fresh and the perfect addition to your Memorial Day Mediterranean Mezze Table. Along with some other stellar contenders like hummus, borek, potato chop, lahm bi ajeen, tabouleh! Or maybe on the side with kabob. Can’t stop, won’t stop.
What is Fattoush?
Basically, it’s fried bread in salad. Um, yum. The dressing is a lemon sumac dressing. Add vegetables…truly whichever you have or are feeling that day…and BOOM you have fattoush! Some common herbs and veg that are in fattoush are cucumber, tomato, lettuce, radish, parsley, green onion, mint – but all these can be added or subtracted to your liking.
Lets chat about the pita
Pita is a critical part of fattoush, so lets take a moment here. You may remember a previous (and one of our first!) post on how to make pita chips. Well, same thing applies here. Basically cut up pita, place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Pop it in a 375F oven for about 15 minutes, and you have the perfect pita for your fatoosh. Sooo good, I dare you to not to eat it all off the sheet pan.
As we are at the imaginable line of spring and summer, aka Memorial Day, I wanted to use a little from both seasons. I saw some beautiful asparagus, radish and butter lettuce at the market and could not resist. These all pair really well with the lemony notes from the sumac and dressing. Like many middle eastern salads the dressing has a 1:1 ratio of lemon to olive oil, making it very zippy and fresh. I also added some lovely Persian cucumbers, tomatoes, green onion and fresh mint.
Want more Mediterranean Salads?
We are gearing up for summer here. These delicious salads are the perfect way to welcome the season. You can find them all on the blog by going to “recipes” at the top and clicking on “salad” from the drop down menu. But here are a few to get you started!
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- ⅔ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¾ tbsp sumac
- ½ tsp salt, more or less to taste
- 1 bushel of asparagus, cut on a diagonal into pieces, and then blanched
- 1 head of butter lettuce, or whatever lettuce you have
- 2 vine tomatoes, or whatever tomato you have
- 2 Persian cucumbers
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- pita chips **(recipe linked here)
- ⅔ cup parsley, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- sumac for garnish on top
- To blanch the asparagus bring a pot of salted water to a boil. In meantime prepared an ice water bath. Once boiling add the asparagus and cook for 1 minuet. Remove asparagus and place in ice water bath for a couple minuets. Drain and remove. Place asparagus on a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Follow this link on how to make the best pita chips!
- Mix lemon juice, olive oil, sumac and salt in a bowl or mason jar.
- Place lettuce, tomato, cucumber, radish, asparagus, green onion, pita chips, parsley & mint (if using) in a bowl or platter.**
- Add enough dressing to your liking and toss.
- Sprinkle a little extra sumac on the salad. Enjoy right away!