Baba’s Potato Chips
Growing up, we had a deep fryer and used it for one sole purpose, Baba’s potato chips. Especially on fall weekends, it was always a treat to see Baba cutting potatoes and watching the golden deliciousness coming out of the bubbling fryer. Just add a little salt and pepper, ketchup and hot sauce, and you got yourself a nice crunchy snack. These potato chips are the perfect compliment to a nice fall Sunday of football viewing.
If you do not own a deep fryer, do not fret! You can still use a heavy bottom pot filled with oil to fry the potatoes to their perfect golden color.
Some pro tips from Baba himself:
- After soaking the potato chips, make sure pat them dry. You do not want any excess water getting into the hot oil
- No thermometer? No problem! You can test the temperature of the oil by adding a drop of water to the pot. If the water sizzles and bubbles, the oil is at a good temperature to add the potato chips.
- Add hot sauce to your ketchup… because why not?! Tabasco it is!
Baba’s Potato Chips
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 cups water
- 4 russet potatoes (small is preferable)
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- ground pepper
- Thoroughly wash potatoes
- Cut both ends off of the potato to help ensure all potato slices are of similar size. About 1/2 inch from each end should be enough. Repeat for all potatoes
- Thinly slice the potato into potato chip disks. The slices should be about as thick as a coin/quarter. Repeat for all potatoes
- Combine salt and water into a large bowl
- Place all potato slices into the bowl and allow to soak for 5-10 minutes
- Remove potato slices from bowl and allow to dry in between 2 sheets of paper towels. Use more paper towels to pat dry if your potatoes are still very damp. It important that your potatoes are dried thoroughly before adding to the oil
- Place 6 cups of vegetable oil into a heavy bottom pot (or your deep fryer). The number of cups depends on the size and width of your pot. If your pot is wide, you should use less. Please use your discretion in this step
- If using a deep fryer: Set oil temp to 350F. Place slices in fryer. You want to add enough potato slices to allow each slice to have their own space to fry. Do not over stuff your fryerIf using a pot: Heat oil over medium/high heat. Start frying when oil reaches 350F. Place slices in the pot. You want to add enough potato slices to allow each slice to have their own space to fry. Do not over stuff your potIf you do not have a thermometer, you can test the oil by adding a drop of water to the oil. If the water sizzles and bubbles, that means the oil is at the right temperature.
- Fry slices until they become golden brown chips
- Take slices out of the fryer using a heatproof strainer or slotted spoon
- Place chips on a paper towel to remove any excess oil
- Toss the chips in a bowl with salt and pepper to taste