Take this winter classic drink to the next level! Here, at Three Teas Kitchen, we love traditions and classic recipes. When we would go on our afternoon tea tradition at The Ritz-Carlton, I would order their hot chocolate set. It was such a nice holiday look that reminded me of the scene in The Santa Claus with Tim Allen when the elf Judy brought him hot cocoa… Anyways, we always thought the Ritz-Carlton’s hot chocolate was truly magical because it tasted amazing and indulgent. One day we asked how they made it so good. Maybe they added the perfect combo of cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, and sugar? But no! Their secret ingredient was only Swiss Miss!
From this memory, we decided to create our own truly magical creation of hot chocolate, Middle Eastern style. I love making this with Califia’s oat milk, but you can also replace with milk. This lovely hot chocolate is complemented with the buttery taste of saffron and a bit of cardamom to add an extra kick. Hope this recipe brings you and your families a hot chocolate treat just like we experienced in our childhood!
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1/4 tsp crushed cardamom seeds
- 3 strands saffron
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 15 grams 70% dark chocolate
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Heat oat milk in a small sauce pan on medium heat with cardamom and saffron for about 2-3 mins then lower heat to medium/low for 5 minutes. I like to use whole cardamom seeds that I have crushed myself using a mortar and pestle.
- In your desired mug, place 15 grams of finely chopped chocolate. I'm using grams here as chopping chocolate can produce different results if you use a tablespoon or cups. I found that 15 grams was the best amount of chocolate to my taste, but you can add more or less depending on your taste!
- Once oat milk is heated, strain out cardamom and saffron and pour on melted chocolate.
- Whisk chocolate and oat milk in your much until chocolate is thoroughly melted
- Whisk in vanilla, pinch of salt, and sugar
- Optionally, you can make whipped topping using either whipping cream or coconut cream.