Shrimp Orzo Salad
YUMMY ! Just thinking about writing this post makes my mouth water. Shrimp Orzo Salad is such a great dish to wind down the summer with. It’s lemony-dill dressing provides a refreshing flavor akin to other summer dishes, but the warmth of the orzo and creamy tang of the goat cheese provides a heartiness that lets us know that fall is just around the corner.
I started making this particular dish just after I graduated from law school. It was, in a way, part of my entry into “adult” life. While it is Mediterranean inspired, it was the first real dish that I made completely on my own that was unlike anything I had eaten before or would have been taught to make by my mother and grandmothers. I first brought to a friends dinner party and then to my parent’s house for the ultimate taste test. Needless to say, it passed the test and has since become one of my signature dishes. I hope you give it a try, truly is a unique and delicious dish that will make your mouth water just thinking about it.
Shrimp Orzo Salad
- 1 lb shrimp (21-25 count/lb); shelled with tails on or off
- 2 cups orzo dried
- 2/3 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh chopped dill
- 2 oz goat cheese (or feta if you prefer)
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- boil orzo and cook according to instructions on packaging (stir occasionally); drain water when done
- while orzo is cooking, make dressing:add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to a bowl and whisk. Continue whisking while slowly adding olive oil until fully emulsified; gently stir in chopped dill
- Add warm, drained orzo to dressing and gently mix
- Cook Shrimp:Blot shrimp with paper towel to remove moisture and then add to baking sheet . lightly drizzle additional olive oil, salt and pepper onto shrimp and gently toss to coat.place shrimp in 375 degree oven for 3 minutes and then flip each shrimp. cook for 3 minutes on other side. Take out of oven and let cool
- Once shrimp is cool add to the orzo and dressing and toss gently.
- Continue to cool until mixture reaches about room temperature.
- Once mixture reaches room temperature add 2 oz of crumbled goat cheese and toss gently.
- Serve at room temperature.