There are few things in life as tasty as FRIED DOUGH. It’s basically the quick fix for a doughnut. And as quick it is to make, it will be equally as quickly gone. My love for fried dough runs deep, like all the way to […]
This cake is a perfect addition to the holiday season. It has such a luscious texture, and has delicious pockets of tart cranberries scattered throughout. What really takes it over the top, though, is the caramelization of sugar, butter, cinnamon, cardamom and clove lining the bottom of the cake. It is definitely a cake with some character.
It tastes even better the day after baking, a welcomed quality given the often limited oven space during the holidays. It is absolutely delicious for breakfast the morning after, or really anytime.
Rustic Cranberry Cornmeal Cake
- 1 cup flour, (5 ounces)
- 2/3 cup fine or medium grain cornmeal, (3 ounces)
- 2 sticks melted and cooled unsalted butter, (8 ounces)
- 2 tbsp room temperature unsalted butter
- 4 large room temperature eggs
- 1½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups cranberries
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ⅛ tsp clove
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare a 9 or 10" springform cake pan. With the 2 tbsp of softened butter, place a thin layer on the bottom of the pan. Then secure a sheet of parchment paper on top of that layer of butter. (I usually lay the parchment paper evenly on the bottom of the springform pan, then fasten the pan. You will be left the parchment lining on the bottom of the pan and the edges of the parchment outside of the pan. Feel free to also rip off some of the access paper outside of the pan. The parchment ensures the cake does not stick to the bottom of the pan.)
- With the remaining 2 tbsp of softened butter thickly layer the bottom and sides of the pan with butter. Next add the 2 cups of cranberries. Sprinkle ½ cup of the sugar, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves on top of the cranberries.*
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal and baking powder.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer, whip eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla together until triple in volume, about 5 minutes.
- Fold flour mixture into egg mixture until just combined. Then fold in butter until just combined.
- Place cake mixture on top of cranberries in the springform pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Allow to cool, then remove from cake pan and parchment paper and enjoy!
- Stores for up to 3-5 days on your counter or fridge.
This cake is all the fall things. Granny Smith apple is shredded and folded into both ground oats and flour creating a delicious and tender apple cake. Not to mention, the nutty tahini and rich sweetness of the maple in the crumble is a perfect […]