Baharat is a Middle Eastern Spice blend consisting of multiple warm and aromatic spices - cinnamon, cardamom, all spice, black pepper, nutmeg and cloves. It can be added to any food group - meats, fish, vegetables, grains - to give it some extra spice and character.
- 1 tsp ground black peppercorn (1 tsp peppercorns = 1 1/2 tsp ground pepper)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg (about 1 whole nutmeg)
- 1 tsp ground allspice (1 tsp allspice berries = 1 tsp ground allspice)
- 1 tsp ground cloves (1 tsp whole cloves = 3/4 tsp ground cloves)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (one 1 1/2-inch (4-centimeter) stick = 1 tsp ground cinnamon)
- 1 tsp ground cardamom (20 whole cardamom pods =
1 tsp ground cardamom. ~12 pods, dehusked (seeds only) = 1 tsp ground cardamom)
Grind all spices and mix in equal proportions.
If you want to make a larger volume just increase everything to that amount.
Store in a sealed container or jar for up to a few months or longer. The more time that has passed, the less pungent the spice blend will be, but still totally usable. Dishes may require just a touch more or less baharat than a recipe calls for depending how long it has been stored or if it was ground from whole spice or pre-ground. As with any spice, adjust to taste when adding to any dish.